God has revealed Himself in nature and through special revelation. Some Scriptures that present this truth are: Psalm 19:1; Romans 1:20; Romans 10:17. Though the existence of God is clearly seen in nature we understand that salvation only comes through God’s revelation of Himself through Jesus Christ and faith in Him as brought by the Holy Scriptures (Rom. 10:17). God is One but is in three distinct persons. We see this in Scripture: Genesis 1:26; Isaiah 45:18; Deuteronomy 6:4; Psalm 86:10; Matthew 28:19. Each person of the Godhead is fully God but does not exist by themselves.
There are many attributes to God’s that are revealed in Scripture.
- Transcendence – God is above and different than creation (Isaiah57:15.
- Immanence – God is involved with His creation (Isaiah 57:15; Ephesians 4:6).
- Eternal – God is not bound by time (Psalm 90:2).
- Infinite – There is no limit to any portion of God (1 Kings 8:27, Psalm 103:17, 139:7, 147;5; Isaiah 55:8-9).
- Immutable – God does not change (Malachi 3:6, Hebrews 13:8).
- Omniscient – God is all-knowing (Psalm 147:5; Romans 11:33-34; Hebrews 4:13).
- Omnipresent – God is all-present. There is no place that is not present (Psalm 139:7-10; Jeremiah 23:23-24).
- Omnipotent – God is all-powerful (Jeremiah 32:17; Revelation 19:6).
- Holy – God is separate from creation (Exodus 15:11; Leviticus 17:44-45; 1 Samuel 2:2; Isaiah 57:15; 1 Pet. 1:16).
- Just – God is impartial in his judgment (2 Tim. 4:8).
- Righteous – God is faithful to Himself and His promises (Genesis 18:25).
- Love – God fully gives Himself to His creation as self-sacrificial (John 3:16; John 15:13).
- Mercy – God favors forgiveness above judgment (Micah 7:18).
- Grace – God gives to us to favor (Ephesians 2:8).
- Goodness – God gives gifts to bring us to Him (Psalm 145:9; Matthew 5:45; Romans 2:4).
- Truth – God does not lie and is in Him is true reality (Numbers 23:19; 1 Kings 8:56).
What a mighty God we serve!