Good Works and Hazards
Good works (3:8)
- Forgotten sermons and forgotten meals illustration (Affirm constantly)
- Eph. 2, 8-10, “8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”
- We are not saved by our works, Christ’s death is only sufficient.
- However, we are served to do good works.
- To claim to be saved and not do works is hypocrisy.
- To do good works without salvation is empty.
Hazards to deep ministry (3:9-11)
- Avoid pointless pursuits.
- Everything that can be counted doesn’t allows count and you can’t always count the things that should count.
- If all we do is sit around and talk, we will only produce disciples who sit around and talk.
- Reject (the divisive person) after the second Hairetikos, schismatic, factious, a follower of false doctrine:
We are in this together (3:12-15)
- We are in a real world doing real ministry together.
- There is no way all that needs to be done can be done by one person.
- There are many names that are mentioned you will not be familiar with. We also see that there are more names never mentioned. However, they all have important contributions.