Sermon Notes for Resurrection Sunday 2019
Often we have heard of the last seven sayings of Jesus on the cross. But, what did Jesus say after the resurrection?
First Seven Sayings of Jesus after the Resurrection in John 20.
The first three sayings were to Mary Magdalene.
- Why Weepest thou? (13 & 15)
- Rev. 21:4 – God shall wipe away all our tears.
- Mary (16)
- He knows my name.
- Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my father: go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God. (Vs. 17)
- Options A & B: – Taboo or Don’t hold me, go!
- Option C: No need to hang on so tightly. I am indeed returning to my Father, but not yet. Go tell my disciples. I will show myself to them and others soon.
Two sayings to the Disciples without Thomas
- Peace Be Unto You (Vs. 19)
- Typical greeting but so much more; John 14:27 – My peace I give to you.
- Peace be unto you, As my Father Hath Sent me, even so, send I you, receive ye the Holy Ghost, whosoever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whosoever sins ye retain, they are retained (Vs. 21-22)
- Deputizing – Holy Spirit – Messengers of the Gospel to be received by faith.
Two sayings to the Disciples with Thomas
- Peace be unto you…Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless; but believing. (Vs. 26-7)
- Christ will meet you where you are. He will ease your doubts.
- Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
- Our belief is assured to be trustworthy by the Word of God alone. It’s more than a feeling. It’s settled in God’s Word.